WelcOMe to Tranquil Space
We’re excited to have you join our cOMmunity for some time on the yoga mat. Here’s some information to get you started.
Info to know before you arrive
- Want something offline? Download the new student guide (PDF)
- You can purchase the $49 special unlimited month for first timers at the studio or online.
- First-time students are required to show a valid photo ID before their first class.
- 6 & 10 class passes are offered to reward consistent practice. They do not expire, but are nonrefundable and nontransferable.
- You can bring your own mat or rent one at the studio for $2.
- You may also want to bring a towel and a water bottle. Both Tranquil Space studios have a filtered water cooler and rent hand towels for $1.
- We have a shower in our changing rooms at the Dupont Circle studio. You can rent a bath towel for $2 or bring your own.
- Fill out the new student form that you will give to your teacher.
- Your yoga practice begins as soon as you walk in the front door and greet the friendly front desk team. Lines can sometimes be long, but by working together, arriving 15 minutes (20 for first timers) before class begins, breathing, and practicing patience, everyone will get on the mat in a timely manner.
- Empty belly = happy yogi.
- If possible, shower before your practice and avoid wearing heavy perfumes. Other yogis may be allergic to such scents.
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- Some class times are more popular than others; please always arrive 15 minutes before class begins.
- Learn how to setup an online account with Tranquil Space with this handy guide. You can schedule or cancel a class online up to one hour before class starts. Please no phone reservations. If you see that a class is no longer available for online sign-in, it doesn’t mean the class is full just that the signup period has passed or we have reached our limit for pre-registration. We always save some spots for walk-ins.
- All yogis are invited to say Tranquil Space Dedication at the end of every class as an affirmation of our cOMmunity values:
May our bodies and minds be healthy.
May our thoughts be filled with love.
May our practice be free of obstacles.
May we carry its benefits into the world.
Watch our new student video
Using our online class scheduler
- You can buy drop-ins, class passes and schedule classes at Tranquil Space online. Go here and follow the instructions to set up your account any time.
- If you sign up for a class online, come in 15 minutes before class and tell the front desk your name.
- If you did not sign up for class online, but you have a current pass, let the front desk know your name to get you signed up.
- Feel free to use our online scheduling system to secure a spot ahead of time. When you arrive for class, scan in with your scan card (pick one up at the front desk) or give the front desk staff your last name so we know you have arrived. If you are more than 10 minutes late for a full class with a waiting list, we will have to give your spot to someone who is on the waiting list.
When you arrive
- Enter Tranquil Space Dupont Circle at the sidewalk entrance and go to the desk in the front of the boutique.
- Enter Tranquil Space Arlington at the rear of the building and go to the desk at the back of the boutique.
- Fill out a new student form if you haven’t already. You’ll give it to your teacher in a few minutes.
- Sign in for class. At the Dupont Circle location, there are multiple studios, so be sure to sign in for the right space. The sky studio sign-in sheet is blue like the sky, and the sky studio is upstairs (think “high in the sky”). The bamboo studio sign-in sheet is green like live bamboo and the bamboo studio is located on the second floor. The earth studio sign-in sheet is brown like the earth, and the earth studio is located on the ground floor (the same level as the check-in desk).
- Pay for your class: for new students to Tranquil Space, the most popular choices are a one class drop-in or the 1 month unlimited special.
- Pick up a rental mat if you need one.
Prior to entering studio
- Take your shoes off before you enter the studio (it’s fine to wear them up the stairs at the Dupont Circle location).
- Keep valuables with you. There are cubbies in the studio you can use.
- We are a cell phone free zone – please turn off your cell phone when you are in class.
- There are hangers and cubbies in the changing areas at both studio locations for placing extra items you may have.
- If you are late, wait until the initial centering is complete and the teacher opens the door to invite you into the studio. If you are more the 10 minutes late and hear that your teacher has started instructing movement, the teacher has probably opened the door already and it is fine to go in. Check with the front desk if you are unsure.
- When entering the studio: breathe. Let go. You’ve arrived.
- Give your new student form to your teacher if it’s your first time at Tranquil Space.
- Let your teacher know about any health concerns you have.
- Center your mat behind a star on the floor.
- Practice self-compassion, find your edge and take a breather if needed. Let your practice be a place of growth, challenge, and tranquility.
- We have studio eyepillows for better relaxation in savasana. If you decide to use one, we encourage you to place a tissue between the eyepillow and your eyes.
- Neatly return blankets, eyepillows and straps. Return rental mats to the rental return basket. Place used towels in the towel hampers throughout the studio.
- Tea and cookies are complimentary. Feel free to hang out with other students and teachers before or after class.
- Be sure to ask questions if you have them – we’re happy to help.
Do you still have questions before you make the leap? Not sure what the right classes are, or pass to buy? Fill in the form below with your question and we’ll be back in touch with you within 24 hours to lend an assist. If you would rather give us a call, you can reach the Dupont Circle or Arlington studios by phone or email… you can find those at the bottom of every page of the website, including this one.